Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Elf Qwest

My new year's resolution was to meet more people. Or socialize more. Or something.

SW introduced me to myspace (which I only joined because she was one it, of course). Actually, myspace is kind of cool. I found a lot of kids I went to school with.

In any case, one of the clubs that SW is part of is actually held every Monday at Western. So I thought, I should go. After all, every body's been telling me I should go to a club with similar interests, and hey! I have similar interests to the people on myspace.

I emailed one of them, asking for a couple of question. She ended up giving me directions (ones even I could understand) and told me that I should come.

I scribbled them down and promptly showed them to everybody at work, trying to clarify the correctness of the notes. The Evil Dude was actually the one who helped me the most, when he pointed out that "towards downtown" was a different direction than I thought.

Of course, they asked what kind of a club it was. Generally, I claimed not to know. But if they insisted, I told them it was an "elf club." I told SW that it was for a bunch of people to get together and hunt elves (if only that was true!). She knew that was just a code.

The club is called QWEST. (Kind of like ElfQuest ...) It stands for Queer Women Educating and Supporting Together. And it was pretty cool.

As I was wondering around campus (trying to look like I knew where I was going, even if I didn't), and I saw two girls talking. As I passed them, I realized that I knew one of them. Her name is Ro, short for Rochelle. I had visited her myspace page 10 bazillion times. (Okay, not really.) But I knew that she was the moderator of QWEST, and one of SW's "friends." It was totally weird to recognise her.

But it kind of reminds me of a movie I was watching with Katie last week. They were in a club or something, and the MC goes up to a man and says, "You're on MySpace!"

Anyway, the subject of the meeting was queer culture, which I had nothing really to say about. I know about two lesbians. You can decide which two I mean (SW, Kate, or Janie).

But I guess I left with a lot to think about. And I think I'll go back next week. Maybe I'll actually participate.

The best part is, I made my mom happy. She said she's proud of me.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Thursday, 25 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i want to go! how about in two weeks? february whateverth

elf hunting! yay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home